Saturday, June 15, 2013

"Resist" Technique Blog Hop

Yes, I still exist.  I apologize for the silence coming from my blog recently.  Life kinda overwhelmed me but I'm back and determined to be more consistent in my posting.  Starting with this awesome blog hop showing the "resist" technique.

When I hear "resist," I think of embossing powder.  For this card, I used manila cardstock, versamark, and colonial white CTMH embossing powder to emboss the small flowers from a retired stamp set.  The flowers created a backdrop for my Japanese stamped sentiment (another retired set).  Although I used retired sets, this technique could EASILY be adjusted to fit virtually any theme, style, or occasion.

I chose the direct to paper technique to add color layering gypsy and spring iris by dragging the paper over the pads.  I then used the edge of the gypsy pad to add some vertical lines for texture.  The background still seemed a little boring so I added black hash lines on the diagonals with my black distressing ink pad. 

Once I stamped the kanji and words in black in the blank area I left, I realized I could have made the background a little lighter.  But there are NO mistakes in cardmaking, only opportunities to embelish.
I chose to add gold to the project, stamping not only the sentiment (using the black as a shadow) but also adding gold to the center of the flowers with a gel pen.  To bring in a little more gold, I used the edge of my acrylic block to mimic the black small hash marks.  Finally, a little sheer and shimmery ribbon, a decorative edge cut, some distressing and inking, and a black background layer and the card was done.


I love how the inks fade away from the embossed flowers.  The purple tinted them slightly but I think the color looks great.  I chose the card color last as I wasn't sure what the final background color would be. 

Here is the blog hp line up in case you get lost.  Be sure to check out all the blogs for even more resist ideas!


Thanks for stopping by! :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your stamping worked so well with the Direct to Paper technique. And the black hashlines were a great addition. Your background is anything but boring. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love the background - gonna give this a try soon!

    ReplyDelete